Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2000 11:19:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, "John W. De Boskey" <jwd@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/bin/df df.1 df.c

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     How about just adding a generic '-b blocksize' option.  For example,
>     '-b 1g'.  Implement the size suffix in the argument to the option,
>     not as the option itself.
>
>     And I really hate the 'BLOCKSIZE=K' thing too.  What the frig is so
>     wrong with requiring a '1' in there?

   It could be because, when I think of a counting type (which is what the
$BLOCKSIZE variable specifies), I think, "In what unit is it counting?".
You think, "In what unit and how many of given unit is it counting?".  Both
are equally valid forms of thinking.

   My ~/.profile has the line "BLOCKSIZE=K;	export BLOCKSIZE" in it.
I'm very comfortable with how that's written, because I think of it in
terms, "What unit do I want my blocks written in?".  If you think of it
in the terms, "What is the byte size that I want blocks written in?", you
use "BLOCKSIZE=1K" to mean "1 * 1024 bytes".  Both seem right to me!

Disclaimer: I don't know how you think; I only know how I think.  I can
presume that many other people think in the same way as either of us.