Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 03:55:48 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/30343: minor changes to ata(4) manpage

Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:30:02PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> >
> > I don't see the reason behind this.  This change just makes the manual
> > page inconsistent with itself (since it wouldn't describe how to
> > disable hw.ata.tags) and probably most others as well.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> True.  I did not read the manpage very very carefully, just noticed
> that I found that part a bit confusing.  Perhaps I was too tired to
> understand it correctly.  If it seems more proper, we can close this
> PR and let me read the manpage again.  Then, if it's ok with Soren I
> could write up how the sysctl's are enabled and how they're disabled,
> and send diffs that change all of them and not only one.
>
> I feel that both enabling and disabling sysctl's should be explained,
> but consistency is more important.  This seems to be necessary, since
> some of the sysctl's are not disabled when put to 0, while others are.
> So if it's ok to add text that explains disabling too for those
> sysctl's that do support it, I'll go through the text again.

I wasn't strictly objecting to the change, I just didn't understand
the purpose--and I still don't, really.  We have many, many boolean
sysctl variables where 0 means 'off', and !0 (typically 1) means 'on'.
Since this is pretty much the norm, we should be documenting things
that *don't* follow this convention rather than those that do.  Of
course, this doesn't apply to sysctls that don't have an integer value
in the first place.