Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:45:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      FreeBSD Stable <fbsdstable@cobble.capnet.state.tx.us>
To:        Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Setting Geometry on big drives (Was Re: FreeBSD install doesn't see the whole disk)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Nevermind wrote:

> > I just put a new 30GB drive in my test machine (Maxtor IDE). When I
> > tried to install, fdisk didn't get the drive size right. So I used the
> > 'G' option and set the drive geometry manually. The summary at the top
> > of the screen looked correct after that, but the 'C' create option
> > apparently didn't get updated, and wouldn't let me create more than a
> > 2GB partition.

> > Anyone have ideas?

> Try to set exact geometry for this drive manually, not autodetect in
> bios.
> Do you have 53073H4 model?
> If so, then set in your BIOS settings manually:
> 59554 cyl, 16 heads, 63 sectors.
> For reference see:
> http://www.maxtor.com/products/DiamondMax/DiamondMaxPlus/QuickSpecs/42077.pdf

> I had the same problems with my
> ad0: 14655MB <Maxtor 51536H2> [29777/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA100

I have an IBM Deskstar 60GB that the BIOS reports as 29437/16/255.
The startup probe reports 119150/16/63.  When I try to configure
the drive, I get a message saying 119150/16/63 is incorrect, and
that I need to set it to the BIOS numbers.  If I set it to the
BIOS numbers, it still complains that it is incorrect.  There is
a message in there warning me not to set the drive to its physical
geometry, though the BIOS  29437/16/255 seems a likely physical
geometry.

So the partition editor picks another default, which is
7476/255/63.  Which seems to work, but now I have three
different numbers.  The boot still shows 119150/16/63, the BIOS
still shows 29437/16/255, and the disklabel shows 7476/255/63.

Question:  Why the warning about not using the PHYSICAL GEOMETRY,
especially since the BIOS (on a Tyan K7 MB) reports a proper
physical geometry?  Why is the boot message still reporting
119150/16/63, when that isn't set anywhere???

stu
fbsdstable@cobble.capnet.state.tx.us