Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:31:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel 820 RNG

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> All,
>
> Apologies if this has been discussed before. The new Intel i820 motherboard
> chipset is due to ship with an on-board Random Number Generator (RNG)... are
> there any plans for us to support this, or does support already exist?
>
> thanks
> BMS

	I haven't had time to keep up with this, so please bear with me.
Is the i820 actually a new chipset that includes the RNG?  We've been
having trouble getting boards that have the RNG capabilities, and I have
been told by the person doing the research that Intel seemed to be dropping
this feature from the newer chipsets.

	If not, then I'm most pleased to be corrected and would like some
references that I can throw at someone until they find us the proper
motherboards again for our product.

	But, back to the topic.  We have taken the OpenBSD driver for the
RNG on the i810 chipset (and some other i8x0 chipsets), and ported it to
FreeBSD-4.4.  We made some enhancements to get more of the available random
data bandwidth.

	We want to clean them up a little and submit them as a PR, but have
not had time to.  If you're interested I can send you the patches and you
can give them a try.

	Adrian
--
[ adrian@ubergeeks.com ]