Date:      05 May 2002 14:21:04 +1000
From:      Mark Sergeant <msergeant@looksmart.net>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com
Cc:        Tony Saign <tony@saign.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl scripts that monitor network connection?

Bigbrother has a rrdtool plugin written by the community. I use Big
Brother to monitor 300 machines in 2 countries and have yet to find a
fault with it as the ability to add your own items to monitor is
brilliant.

Cheers,

Mark

On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 14:04, Dylan Carlson wrote:
> On Saturday 04 May 2002 12:28am, Tony Saign wrote:
> > Recently (last night) for 3 hours my connection was experiencing some
> > SERIOUS problems!
> > (i.e. destination net unreachable, up to 47% packet from my router to
> > theirs etc.)
> >
> > This made me realize I need to monitor this connection VERY closely.
> > Until the issues are resolved.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend any network connection monitoring scripts that
> > could be scheduled as cron jobs, and possibly emails the results to me?
> > Or a good open-source package?
> >
>=20
> IMHO -- cricket is the best thing going, but it's really geared towards a=
=20
> larger number of nodes.  Using something like NetSaint or MRTG or BB is=20
> probably better for smaller environments... although neither of those=20
> packages have really given me the config flexibility and graphing power o=
f=20
> RRDTool.
>=20
> RRDTool is a wonder unto itself. =20
>=20
> --=20
> Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]
>=20
>=20
--=20
Mark Sergeant
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
=20
L=F4=F4kSmart International Pty. Ltd.
Level 5/388 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne, VIC, 3000
Australia=20
P. (03) 9648 2201=20
F. (03) 9648 2244=20
http://www.looksmart.com.au

This email may contain information which is confidential and/or
privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or
otherwise use the information contained in this email and we request
that
you delete it from your system and notify the sender and/or LookSmart
International Pty Ltd immediately.