Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:01:13 +0400
From:      Boris Smostavretsky <borisnicolaich@mail.ru>
To:        Keith Mitchell <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ATA problems in 4.7-RC

Hello Keith,

I have the same problem with a 8GB Seagate drive on an old P2-266
(Asus p2l97a) system.
I've also noticed that it happens as if HDD was trying to get into
'sleep' mode - it never occurs when HDD is intensively used, instead
the drive stops spinning and HDD led is lid permanently.
Any power saving/sleep functions are off in BIOS setup.
After a few seconds READ or WRITE timeout messages is displayed, OS
tries to reset it, fails, and removes from the configuration.
It takes about a minute or two, after which the computer becomes
operable but with no input/output access to ad.

Constantly reading/writing to the device usually (but not always)
keeps the problem away.

The problem appeared after upgrading to 4.7. Downgrading back to 4.6.2
did not help, which is quite strange, maybe I did not recompile
something? Or perhaps, I had an older 4.6.2 before.

you wrote:

Keith Mitchell> I just purchased a new WD 180GB ATA-100 disk drive for my FreeBSD machine
Keith Mitchell> and am having problems getting the drive working correctly.  Originally
Keith Mitchell> I had this drive attached to the onboard IDE controller on my MB
Keith Mitchell> (Asus TUSLC-2) but had problems so I installed the promise ATA100TX2
Keith Mitchell> controller card that came with the system.  This made the problems not
Keith Mitchell> show up as often, but they are definately still there.

Keith Mitchell> I am running RELENG_4 from 9/23 and it identifies itself as 4.7-RC.  The
Keith Mitchell> problems I am seeing are READ timeout error messages followed by an
Keith Mitchell> error message saying that the identifies to the drive timed out.  At this
Keith Mitchell> point in time the activity LED to the controller card is lit solidly and
Keith Mitchell> either the system is frozen or it is still responding but all I/Os fail
Keith Mitchell> with input/output errors.  Eventually the system will reboot but when this
Keith Mitchell> happens it often doesn't find the drive anymore and I have to power cycle
Keith Mitchell> the computer to get things going again.

Keith Mitchell> Currently this drive is the ONLY drive attached to the promise controller
Keith Mitchell> and it is configured as an only drive (no slave present) via jumpers.

Keith Mitchell> I've tried this same drive in my mac (behind an Oxford 911 firewire bridge)
Keith Mitchell> and it seems to work ok over there.

Keith Mitchell> Attached is the output from 'dmesg' and 'atacontrol cap' for the device.