Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:24:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        nate@root.org, peter@wemm.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src UPDATING

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> : > Heh, I rember installing with 20M for / and thinking that 32M *total* for
> : > / was excessive.  My, how our libc.a has grown into a spaghetti monster.
> : > And having 10,000 modules doesn't help either.
> :
> : What if the kernel config file didn't build/install modules that were
> : statically compiled into the kernel?
>
> For most people, they can do a single user install with a kernel that
> was installed using 'make installkernel -DNO_MODULES' (assuming that
> does what I think it will do).  You generally don't need modules to do
> the install, which really cuts down the amount of space you'd need in /
> by 15M.  You'd need only 10M free to do the install if /tmp isn't on a
> free partition, or about 5M if it isn't.

Another thing we should document somewhere is that 5.0 won't cycle out
your 4.x kernels, because 5.0 keeps them in a different place, only
cycling out 5.0 kernels.  Once the upgrade is complete and you know you're
not backing out, removing the old 4.x modules and kernel directorie (and
any .old) can be used to recover a lot of space.

If the user foolishly has /tmp on a small /, they'll want to symlink it to
/var/tmp, /usr/tmp, or the like during the install, to avoid having the
install.xxxxx backup files on /.  In order to useful upgrade on box, I
have to move the old kernel to /usr, and in the event I'm backing out,
point the loader at it manually.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories