Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:25:21 -0800
From:      erk! <tapeworm@insekta.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Max Email Users

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:28:08 -0500
"Anthony Abby" <anthonyabby@aplusdata.com> wrote:

> Well that depends on exactly how your users are using the mail server.
>  If all they're doing is accessing it via smtp/pop then the answer
>  would be GOBS of users.  Sorry for that highly technical answer, but
>  I honestly don't know how many users a 600mhz PIII will support, but
>  I know it's hundreds at the very least.  I ran mailing lists with
>  over 100k total subscribers on an old Cyrix MIII based Linux box that
>  had no problem keeping up with the load.

just to add to this, i've even heard of people running *bsd on a 486,
and still being able to handle hundreds of users.  in particular, i read
about a firewall box running openbsd awhile back that received hundreds
of hack attempts over a week-long period, and never skipped a beat.  the
same appears to be true for mail servers, too.

- erk