Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:04:31 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network backup

At 02:10 PM 12/15/2002 -0800, Marcus Reid wrote:
>On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 09:22:06AM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > /sbin/dump -0uanf - /usr |gzip -9 | ssh
> > remoteuser@backupserver.example.com dd
> > of=/home/targetdir/root-server-al0.gz
>
>Agreed that dump is the way to go much of the time.. There is something
>that bothers me in your example though. Your backup machine trusts the server,
>and not the other way around. IMHO, the backup machine needs to be one of
>the most trusted machines on your network, like your management workstation.

I agree.  However, the target user on the backup server is non wheel and
the session is chrooted into its own directory.  If servera is compromised,
the attacker can get at the account servera on the backupserver, and thats it.

>It logs into machines below it, and not the other way around. Compromise of
>server X should not allow access to the backups of every machine on the
>network!

Not necessarily.  If there is a password compromise on the one server, it
does not mean that there is access to all the other accounts on the backup
server.  Also, if it were done the other way around, only the backup server
need to be compromised to gain access to all the other servers.

How have you designed your backup system that avoids these issues ?

         ---Mike