Date:      Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:42:52 +0100
From:      Olivier <olivier@gautherot.net>
To:        Xian <ml-freebsd-newbies@codepad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports to cdrom

--------------040204030100060907090006

Hi Xian!

>>What about mapping /usr/ports on a second computer via NFS?
>>

>I tried that and found that chmod didn't work on NFS. Other remote filesystems
>like SMB might work if they allow chmod.
>You might be able to do something with having the ports collection on CD and
>mounting it as union.

NFS should work but there are requirements: you have to use
the same UID for each user (if you declare user xian as UID 2003,
you must declare it with the same number on each system).

NFS is widely used across companies and such a constraint would have
been long overcome if it were the case! Dedicated file servers would be
useless.

You may think of an NIS server to help on this - but it may be a
killer if you just use it in your living room ;-)

Cheers
    Olivier

--------------040204030100060907090006--