Date:      Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:18:23 +0000
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Brian Clapper <brian-freebsd-008@clapper.org>
Cc:        java <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ought to be posted

Brian Clapper wrote:
> On 24 March, 2005, at 22:34 (+0000)
> Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org> wrote:
>

>>I just *finally* found the mail about the known error, dealing with the
>>need for jdk1.5.0 needing to be invoked with it's full path.  I'm not so
>>unhappy in finding it, more unhappy in finding out that it was a known
>>problem and not on the website.  I spent a lot of time on this.
>

> Back in January,, I posted a comment on this same issue. See
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-java/2005-January/003420.html
>
> A couple days ago, I got time to experiment with this problem again. I
> found that installing the javavmwrapper port, and invoking the 1.5.0 "java"
> and "javac" executables via the wrapper, solved the problem for me. (I
> should've tried something that obvious sooner.)

Yes.  I can't decide if the simplest (to me) solution, just adding (for
csh or tcsh) an alias, java->/usr/local/jdk1.5.0/bin/java is a good
enough fix (it works) or if it's worth my time to hunt the bug down
inside the jdk15 port.  I spent some time looking about in there, I do
think I could find it, but the testing time for something like this,
it's just enormous ... maybe I'm being too perfectionistic.