Date:      Wed, 31 May 2006 22:16:23 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install error for version 6.1: Cannot get packages/index

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:53:29PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote..
> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 14:27, pwangee@udel.edu wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > My alpha machine is 433au with the freebsd 4.10. Now I want to reinstall the
> latest version 6.1 in my machine from CD. When I install it, everything is
> fine until the error message " can not get packetages/index ...". I really
> don't know the reason.
> >
> > I tried to install it from FTP. It still does not work. Then, I check the
> website of freebsd and find that the distribution of the alpha machine for
> version 6.1 is empty. The distributions for other kinds of machines are
> avalable. The distribution of alpha machine for version 5.5 is empty too.
> >
> > Anyone gives suggestions? Thanks
>
> FreeBSD no longer provides pre-built packages for Alpha.  You'll need to
> install 3rd party software using ports instead.  This includes Xorg.  I think
> you should be able to install the system fine using the 6.1 CD so long as you
> don't select the Xorg dists.

The FTP install areas are indeed empty, I have to admit I did not bother
to upload the ftp dists.  Most people appeared to use the ISO images.
Maybe I should upload a 6.1R ftp set though.

That said, John is right about the pre-built packages.  These were built
on a farm of Alphas over in the USA.  I typically got a huge tarball with
the binary packages which I then had to integrate into the ISO images and
ftp area.  Keeping the package build serverfarm proved too much of a
challenge for its keepers so that is no longer running.

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko@FreeBSD.org