Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:00:09 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Anderson" <anderson@more.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Max NFS mounts for a FreeBSD client?

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 10:45:25AM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:07:37 +0100 (BST)
> Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > Sounds a bit like something is running out of reserved ports to use -- the
> > credentials error may mean that a port number >1023 was used for an NFS
> > connection.  Given that reserved ports start around 600, 420 is about the
> > right number of sockets to reach 1024.
>

> Hi,
> Reserved ports controlled by sysctl :
>
> net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedhigh: 1023
> net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedlow: 0
>
> although the 600 rwatson mentions seems to be this one:
>
> net.inet.ip.portrange.lowfirst: 1023
> net.inet.ip.portrange.lowlast: 600
>
> You should be able to tweak these values - as long as you have
> ephemeral ports for the rest of your network activity, you should be
> ok, right?

This sounds like we are on the right track. I verified via netstat
that all ports from 600-1023 are being used for NFS after I run my
test script.

I can not change lowfirst to any higher amount. I did change lowlast
from 600 to 1 and now I can mount more than 1000 NFS mounts. This is
great but what kind of side effects am I introducing by making this
change?

--
Eric L. Anderson
anderson@more.net