Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:35:54 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

--On Thursday, June 05, 2008 19:10:19 +0200 Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
wrote:

> There's a really easy way to test this. Build & install a new kernel, but
> keep  the old kernel around (by default it's in /boot/kernel.old). If the
> problem  is gone, do the upgrade as usual. If it's still there, you know
> upgrading  won't fix it and you don't waste time; simply rename kernel.old to
> kernel.  This even works with 7.0 provided that you leave COMPAT_FREEBSD6 in
> the  kernel configuration file.

It's not quite that simple.  To do that, I have to block out time to drive 45
miles during my supposed "off" hours and do the upgrade there.  Because, if it
breaks networking and I'm at home, the server will be down for at least an hour
until I can drive to the hosting company, get access to the server and restore
the old kernel.

Again, I'm not complaining.  Just sayin' that sometimes stuff ain't quite as
easy to do as folks who are surrounded by hardware and test platforms assume it
is.

--
Paul Schmehl
As if it wasn't already obvious,