Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:19:42 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Milan Obuch <freebsd-stable@dino.sk>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntpdate with u3g - synchronisation problem

At 06:20 AM 8/19/2009, Milan Obuch wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a box connected via u3g (Huawei E169) running OpenVPN with PKI
>certificates. It needs to synchronise time. I added

Better to fire it when the ppp link actually comes up.  This could be
well after the machine boots since you might not immediately have
signal.  If your ppp label is called gprs for example, in
/etc/ppp/ppp.linkup

add

gprs:
  ! /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s <your.ntp.ip>

         ---Mike

>ntpdate_enable="YES"
>ntpdate_flags="-b <my.ntpd.server.ip>"
>
>into rc.conf. Problem is, ntpdate timeouts, because network starts slowly in
>this case. I need ntpdate to wait somehow until ntp server is reachable. Due
>to USB used to connect 3G modem, ppp is started via devd event. Network start
>is a bit asynchronous, not ordered in rcorder sense.
>
>Could someone shed some lite on this for me? It looks a bit like synchronous
>DHCP - at least I think so.
>
>Any help appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Milan

Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications,                            mike@sentex.net
Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike