Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:03:35 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] pkgng binary packages regression in 1.0.9. Fixed in 1.0.9_1

On 20/03/2013 16:29, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Deep down I'm worried that this will solicit a response of "switch to
> ports-mgmt/pkg and ports-mgmt/poudriere".  While I'm not opposed to the
> tools themselves, I'm strongly opposed to that kind of response as I'm
> tired of seeing the security incident being used as a opportunistic
> crutch (as it was for the sudden cvsup/csup deprecation).

While we would like everyone to switch to pkgng in the fullness of time,
there's no way we're ready to completely ditch the old pkg_tools
packages yet.  Nor will we be until the last release using pkg_tools by
default goes out of support -- and as part of the fallout from the
security incident it's planned for the upcoming 8.4 and (I think) 9.2 to
ship with pkg_tools as the default packaging system.  That's a change to
the original pkgng roadmap I really need to add to the Wiki page.

Nor will poudriere become a de-facto necessity for anyone running a
FreeBSD site.  Firstly, alternatives like tinderbox or portmaster or
portupgrade are still going to exist, and secondly, if pkgng does what
it is supposed to do, then it should be perfectly viable for someone to
maintain a FreeBSD system without actually having to build any packages
themselves[*].

It certainly is not the case that pkgng is even being favoured over
pkg_tools at the moment.  Restoring the pkg_tools build systems was
prioritised ahead of any pkgng building systems.  The pkg_tools build
cluster is (I believe) pretty much ready to swing into action for
building the pkgs to go with the upcoming 8.4-RELEASE.  Replacement
pkgng building systems are on the way, but noting is available quite yet.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Although building your own will be preferred by many, or simply
building your own customized versions of the software that is central to
what you are doing, and using pre-packaged stuff for anything else.