Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 1996 10:45:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Yves Lepage <yves@CC.McGill.CA>, hackers@freebsd.org, yves@maelstrom.CC.McGill.CA
Subject:   Re: IBM HD's

On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > - Quantum Fireball
>
> I can also verify this one - we had a machine at the office with one
> of these drives in it (before it was torn apart for scrap :-) and we
> never could get FreeBSD to install on it.  Exact same symptoms.
>
> I never did figure out what was going on and the machine is history
> now so I never will..  Hmmmm.  I wonder if the output of `boot -v'
> would be helpful.  FreeBSD is clearly not happy with its attempts to
> write on this drive, there must be something "special" about it!
>
> 					Jordan

I have a SCSI Quantum Fireball (and a Quantum Lightning) no problems
installing FreeBSD on either drive.  I suspect that Quantum might not be
very good at IDE since I only hear about their SCSI drives.  My opinion is
if you want a good IDE drive, get a Western Digital, if you want a good
SCSI drive, get a Quantum.  Just my two cents...

---Jake