Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:15:25 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/sysinstall disks.c

On Thu, Mar 19, 1998 at 07:57:35AM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > 1. Install a disk using dangerously dedicated mode.
> > 2. Reboot.
> > 3. Select custom install.
> > 4. 'fdisk' the disk, doing nothing.
> > 5. Watch sysinstall come up with a full-screen request with 3 choices
> >    - IIRC, "Install booteasy", "Install standard MBR", and "Do nothing
> >    to my bootblock".  The default choice is either a standard MBR or
> >    booteasy; I forget which.  If you don't change the default, your
> >    disk is toast on 'Commit'.
>
> Erm...  But that's exactly what I'd expect to have happen?

Give the poor users a break!  They just select a disk, go through
everything selecting the defaults (which work, until the install is
complete).  Then they reboot, and nothing work - their disklabel is
hosed.

This isn't even close to satisfying POLA.

> > I've been caught by this myself, and I've seen quite a few people
> > being caught by it since.  You need to be alert and have a good
> > understanding of the FreeBSD disk-layout to not get caught.
>
> Well, yes..  But I'm not sure that this one's fixable using methods
> that wouldn't in themselves be worse than the problem.

Uhm?  As far as I can tell, this just requires not writing the
bootblock if a disk is dangerously dedicated.  This is information
that should be easily available from libdisk - unfortunately, I
couldn't find an easy way to get it.  Is there some interaction here
that I'm overlooking?

Eivind.