Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 20:58:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
Cc:        Mike Burgett <mburgett@cmnsens.zoom.com>, "hardware@freebsd.org" <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: K6-200 Has anyone successfully done a 'make world' ?

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Randy Berndt wrote:

> on
> >>
> >>   I only have the 166MHz part, and have not been successful after changing
> >>everything except the chip.
> >
> >Hmmmm. What started off as an annoyance, is getting *really* interesting.  I
> >wonder if 2_2_RELENG is somehow incompatible with the chip?  AMD claims
> >compatibility with FreeBSD 2.0 on their compatability list, but I wonder if
> >that included rebuilding all the sources?  Seems to run fine when it's just
> >perking along doing normal stuff'n quick builds...
>
> Pardon me for being REALLY dense, but .... Isn't the K6 supposed to be
> compatible with the Pentium >> CHIP << ??? Not a program that operates on
> that chip???

I think this will be a never ending topic of conversation, but let's try
to look at all possibilities.

Questions to Ask/Answer/Consider:

What configurations (i.e. Motherboard & chipset, cpu, and hd controller is
everyone using with the K6)?  The problem here is that no one has posted full
configuration details, so I urge you guys to do so here.

            CPU Model:
          Motherboard:
              Chipset:
             L2 Cache:
        System Memory:
        HD Controller:
          Hard Drives:
                 Bios:
 Switching/Linear VRM:
    HS Grease Applied:
             Fan Type:
           Make World:
General FreeBSD Stuff:
      FreeBSD Version:

Things to think about:

1) The K6-233 does run quite hot... Heatsink grease is required for all AMD
K6s according to AMD (I would say a fast fan is a good idea too).

2) I have ran a K6-200 as a FreeBSD box and it does run fine, but I am
not the type who does make worlds so I can't tell you if it really/really
doesn't fail doing that test.  It runs fine for typical stuff (X windows,
telnet sessions, etc.)

3) I think everyone I have heard around here says that they have "make world"
problems were using Asus motherboards.  Is this just a coincidence?  Yes, I
know you guys choose Asus because it is generally a high end motherboard
manufacturer.  (The K6 does draw more current that a Pentium/MMX so a board
that works fine on a Pentium/MMX may not necessarily work on a K6, so
swapping it for a Pentium/MMX cpu does not necessarily make all things
equal).

Anyway my configuration responses.  Anyone want to keep a record of them
all?

            CPU Model: AMD K6-200
          Motherboard: FreeTech F63T
              Chipset: 430VX