Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 05:48:22 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" <art@hawaii.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup

At 08:21 AM 9/5/99 -1000, Art Neilson, KH7PZ wrote:
>indeed I was updating my only source tree and was confused regarding
>"The Complete FreeBSD" book 3rd edition pg. 379 "Putting it all together"
>the method presented in the book uses cvsup to update a source tree /ncvs
>then uses 'cvs update -P -d' to update /usr/src from the /ncvs tree.
>I only have /usr/src tree as I'm not doing any development and wanted the
>simplest model to maintain.

Don't have the book (yet), but it tells you how in the Handbook.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html

18.3.3.3 4th paragraph after the 5 linked questions.

>Speaking of which, how do I update ports-all if I'm tracking stable?
>I see only tag=. is valid for the ports tree, if I use that I get the
>most current ports?  Will the most current ports work with stable or
>do I need to go to freebsd-current?  I tried compiling lsof after
>cvsuping my ports tree with tag=. and the make bombs with numerous
>complaints about stuff in /usr/include files on my FreeBSD 3.3-RC
>system.  Is this just a problem with lsof or a more general problem
>with my ports updates not matching my OS release?

Try changing the tag in the supfile you use:

*default  tag=RELENG_3
src-all

*default  tag=.
ports-all
doc-all
www

Added the last 2 since they need the 'tag=.' as well as the ports
collection does.

Personally I do separate files since I pull ports more often than not and I
prefer to keep separate logs of each.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve