Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:33:24 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
Cc:        TERRY ALVIN MARK <terrya@rintintin.Colorado.EDU>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:

> TERRY ALVIN MARK wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I hope this will turn out to be a dumb install error,
> > and not hardware related.
> > I have been trying to install 2.1 on a system cosharing with
> > windows 95, [Dell Dimen XPS 133C] IDE drives two separate both
> > 2G with an IDE CD-ROM. Couldn't get tha atapi.flp to drive the CD-ROM.
> > I tried initially to install FBSD via a DOS partition to the second disc,
> > (which didn't work). Then I defragged the first disc, split it with FIPS
> > equally and then tried to install into the second half of the disc.
> > This gave a error message along the lines of "can't install root distribution".
> > I read somewhere that the root partition has to end before 1024 cyl,
> > so is this the problem? - I am going to redo FIPS to keep the root below
> > 504MB. However I don't know why FBSD couldn't go on the second drive.
> > I was also going to get 2.1.5 boot floppy to see if this will enable
> > me to install 2.1 from IDE CD-ROM - will that work?
> > cheers
> > mark
>
> A Subject line would be appreciated!
>
> Ok, I don't belive in things like fips, So I have never used it!

> It should install on the second drive.
>
> Yes, You do need to keep the root slice (partition) below cylinder
> 1024. (504MB)
>
> I'll *assume* two IDE controllers: wd0, wd1..
> With 2.1r & ATAPI CD's you need to have your drive setup like this:
> 	wd0: HD master
> 	     CD slave
> 	wd1: HD Master (Single)
> This is do to a bug in 2.1r.
IDE controllers are named wdc0 and wdc1. wd0 and wd1 are the names of the
disks. With the configuration outlined above the dissk would be wd0 and
wd1. If you indeed install the root FBSD partiotion on the second disk
you'll have to build a custom kernel with the following line in the
configuration file:

config kernel root on wd2

To do that you'll need to connect the FBSD disk to the first controller
(at least temporarily).
In my opinion it is easier in this setup to have the root partition on
the first disk, but it can be made to work either way...

> Installing from a dos partition is done all the time, It should
> work no problem as long as the files are error free, and the tree
> structure is setup properly.
> ie:
> 	C:\FREEBSD\BIN
> 	           FLOPPIES
> etc... etc...
>
> Nope Sorry, I don't belive the 2.1.5 boot.flp will work for 2.1r.
>
> Make sure you create you boot.flp from dos 6.22 or less! Dos mode
> of W95 conflicts with rawrite.exe.
>
> Run dos fdisk on your second drive and blow away all attemps
> to install FreeBSD on it.
> Create a small dos partition.. (This will get deleted in a few)
>
> Boot with your boot disk built from dos 6.22 or less and rawrite.exe
> At the Boot: prompt do a '-c' and goto visual and disable/correct
> all settings.
> Continue on..
Take care of the little BootEasy bug in sysinstall. When being asked on
what disks you'd like to install FreeBSD mark them both. First you'll get
the partiotion editor for the first disk. Don't change anything there,
just Quit and then you'll be asked what should be put in the boot block.
Select bootmanager. This would have the effect of installing BootEasy on
the first disk. Then you'll get the parttion editor for the second disk...

> While in the disk editor BLOW away the dos partition and create
> the FreeBSD slices (partitions)
> 	*DO NOT (W)rite anything!*
>
> Once done, If you get an error saying something on the lines of:
> 	No operating system found
> Boot dos and use fdisk to set a partition active!
>
> I'm sure I missed a step or two but I belive I covered the problem
> spots.. :)
You did....
Look above

> Main things are:
> Delete any previous partition attempts!
> Create a small dos partition.
> (Helps FreeBSD get the  disk geometry correct)
> Create the boot disk from dos 6.22 or less! W95 Dos mode conflicts.
I create my boot floppies from a DOS window on Win95, but you can never
be too careful!

> And the drive cabling configuration as noted above!
> Don't (W)rite anything.
Make sure you have BootEasy on the first disk.
If you didn't get it, boot into DOS (Win95 won't work for that) and
install it manually (it's in the directory /tools on the CDROM).

> Luck
>
> -Enjoy
> Gary
> Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
> The Borg... Where minds meet
> (207) 929-3848

Hope this helps,
Nadav