Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 97 19:54:15 +0100
From:      Mark Konkol <mark@works.co.uk>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Binaries in Usenet (was: News...)

Blaine Minazzi wrote:
> The sqid cache is not there for users to access directly...

True, but then again, do you let users access the news spool directly? A cache that users can't access at all isn't
really much use :)

I still think the distinction is a bit arbitrary. Squid certainly can store stuff on disk - if you're running BSD it
can't help but do so! (Not in any easy-to-read form, granted, but it's still there...) In the end, you're still
offering a service that people can access in order to retrieve potentially illegal material.

In any event, suppose someone were to write a web cache that wrote pages to disk (to save memory and make sure the
cache didn't empty on a reboot) and to prefetch pages from commonly visited sites (to increase response time over
ever-scarce bandwidth). Would the ISP then become liable?

> If the stuff is being retrieved from a server inside
> the USA though, the person who made the images available is subject to
> prosecution.

Indeed, so why does this not apply to the originator of a news posting rather than the hapless ISP? If you caught me
in a cynical mood (perish the thought :) I might suspect that the real distinction is one of finger-pointing. Web
servers are easy to find, ISPs are easy to find, posters to newsgroups can be as hard to grab as greased eels :)

---
Mark Konkol
Complete Works Ltd.
399 Strand