Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 00:44:07 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Jan B. Koum" <jkb@best.com>, Chris Peiffer <fancylad@zonker.stanford.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is like Linux (was: Bet you didn't know...)

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Wes Peters wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> % Bet you didn't know we were a "Linux-like operating system", eh?
>
> Greg Lehey wrote:
> > What's wrong with that?  FreeBSD *is* like Linux.  Considering the
> > perspective, I think it's a very nice thing to say.  I'm going to
> > write to the author and suggest he put in a link to
> > http://www.FreeBSD.org/
>
> Hermit, get a grip!  I agree with Greg, it was complimentary.  Reading
> between the lines, I see "FreeBSD is a free UNIX system that runs on
> PCs, like Linux, but is known to be more stable and therefore makes an
> ideal high-powered internet server."

	I'm sorry, but it kinda grated on my nerves the way *I* read
it...my interpretation of something being *like* something else is that
its an imitation that isn't quite as good as the original *shrug*

	Being Linux-like, to me, was saying "similar to, but not as good
as"...but, again, that was *my* interpretation...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org