Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 13:32:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        jritorto@montgomery.com (Jacob Ritorto)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install crash

Jacob Ritorto wrote:
> Hello.
>     I hope I'm the only one having this problem, but every time I try to
> do the floppy-booted install from a dos partition, I get a signal 11
> right after the ports package copies to the bsd filesystem.  Everything
> works great up to that point, then it bombs.
>     I set up 256MB of swap , 32MB /, 30 MB /var, 3000MB /usr.
>     I've tried this on 2 machines now: a DEC Celebris 6180 pc and a DEC
> 5000 pc (pentium pro and pentium2).  I even tried disabling the cache,
> suspicious of a klunky cpu or bad memory, but the problem happened
> exactly the same way even though the machine was running really slow &
> careful.
>     I don't know what to do; please help.

For starters, try not installing the ports package during installation.
It can be installed later. This might allow you to get up and running,
in which case diagnosing the problem will be /lots/ easier.

Check the output on the other virtual consoles (ALT F2, ...) for
more hints on what's going wrong.

Dave
--
        DISCLAIMER: If it can be disclaimed, it is.
	DISCLAIMER: In particular, I don't represent any organization.