Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 17:23:48 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Gunnar Olsson <etxgnon@etxb.ericsson.se>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MPPP, multilink PPP

On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 02:14:03PM +0100, Gunnar Olsson wrote:
> Hi there,
> my name is Gunnar Olsson, working for Ericsson Research in Sweden.
> We are looking on delay requirements for IP packets over PPP.
> I want to segment long data packets on PPP level, to minimize
> the "waiting time" for a real time packet. I was planning to use
> the segmentation algorithm in Multilink PPP, MPPP.
> For performance issue I am doing everything in kernel.
> So, the question is, have someone implemented MPPP in kernel????

There is no multilink implementation for the FreeBSD kernel, no.

What you _could_ do is work with Brian to segregate the user-interface
and the protocol handling in the userland PPP, making it possible to
compile the protocol handling itself into the kernel.  This could be
very useful, as it provide a good development-environment (userland),
while making it possible to exploit the performance boost of having
the code in the kernel.

Eivind.