Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 02:11:06 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Alla Bezroutchko <alla@sovlink.ru>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it an attack? Strange things logged by ipfw - more on that

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Alla Bezroutchko wrote:

> > Nothing will help brain-damaged windoze machines. :)
>
> Checked. Some of source IPs belong to 'doze machines, some don't.
> Brain damaged unix? ;)

Have you talked to the owners of any of the machines?  Are they related in
any way?

I had a whole lot of seemingly unrelated packets a while back that turned
out to be due to a faulty router at a major ISP in the UK.  It seems that
the router was splitting the tcp headers from their bodies, and under
heavy load was putting some of them back together wrong so that I got
packets from unrelated sessions.  The ISP serviced many domains so it took
me a while to realize that it was coming from the one place.  Traceroute
is helpful for that.

Andrew