Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:06:03 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Doug <DougGuy@dal.net>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>, David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inetd and wrapping.

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 01:53:32 MST, Doug wrote:

> As long as you acknowledge that in this case, "You can't have it" is a
> design decision, and not everyone agrees with your concept of the design.
> Personally I don't care enough about it to write the patch, but that won't
> stop me from registering an objection since you seem to be assuming that
> silence == assent.

You're right. If I make my intentions publically known and nobody
objects, I assume public agreement. So I acknowledge that we're involved
in design decisions here.

> You need to start thinking of things in terms of the much more common
> case, the casual user who will be going from say, 3.0-Release to
> 3.3-Release without reading any of the documentation.

You're making assumptions about what I'm trying to achieve. I'm quite
sensitive to upgrade issues.

> Why should this user have to either go out of his way to fix something
> that wasn't broken, or find a critical service disabled when he
> reboots just because no one could be bothered to make the new
> interface compatible?

Okay, this is what makes sense. :-)

I do agree that it should be as easy as possible to upgrade from
3.2-RELEASE to 3.3-RELEASE. What you need to see is that such an upgrade
_will_ involve changing some things, which is why we offer people
release notes. What we're discussing (and have up until now disagreed
on) is how much has to change.

Since none of the people who've suggested per-case exclusion options
for wrapping have come up with diffs, it's something I'll have to think
about. If I can come up with something backward compatible without
rupturing a testicle, I'll do so.

Watch this space for details. :-)

Cia,
Sheldon.