Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:13:27 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        Rami Soudah <rsodah@index.com.jo>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Win network configuration

On Sat, Jun 26, 1999 at 11:17:00AM -0700, Rami Soudah wrote:

> Ilia Chipitsine wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Rami Soudah wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > i made my home network with 2 PC 's one win98 other BSD3.0,
> > > both PC's can see eachothers. :)
> >
> > here you told that computers can see each other
> >

> YES, I can 'ping' ' win from bsd, and bsd from win
>

> > > when i open Network Neighborhood icon in the Win98 box, i cant see other
> > > compuetrs
> >
> > here you are telling that computers cannot see each other.
> >

> YES, i am unable to find my bsd box in the Network Neighborhood list.

You cannot see it if you're not running samba on the FreeBSD box. The
window box uses SMB to communicate with other winboxes. And it announces
its presence on the net with SMB. This is what the samba package will do
for you, if you have to have it that way. Mostly used if you want the
FreeBSD box being a server to the M$ box, or if you want M$ printing via
the FreeBSD box. If you just want to connect and get/put files, use ftp
from the M$ to the FreeBSD box!

> > > which are alocated in the network, i mean the connected PC's are not
> > > listed?
> > > What shall i do?
> > > _sorry_  for bothering you with windows stuff.
> > >

> > you need to switch on "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" (at Win9X)
> > and install Samba (on FreeBSD)
> >
> > # cd /usr/ports/net/samba
> > # make
> > # make install
> >
> > there are examples for smb.conf, etc, etc, etc. just dig it a bit deeper.
> >

> Thanks, i ll do.
>
> -pons

                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_