Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 20:10:06 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Pascal Hofstee <daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: softupdates in latest build?

At 10:42 AM -0700 1999/9/6, Doug wrote:

> 	Please don't cross post to -questions and -stable. If your issue is
> pertinent to -stable you should post it there.

	Sorry.  I'll try to keep this in mind for any future posts I may
(or may not) make.

> 	You should always make the new kernel before rebooting. Changes between
> kernel and userland can cause you big problems.

	Hmm.  You're absolutely correct.  Re-reading
<http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world
.html>, I see that I did things in the wrong order.

	Thanks!

> 	Someone else already mentioned that if you expect to track -stable you
> need to read the list.

	As I said before, I wasn't planning on tracking -STABLE (and
certainly not -CURRENT, although that choice was apparently made for
me without my knowledge).  I had tried to monitor the list as best I
could for the past few weeks, and keeping an eye out for those things
I know I'm interested in or which might be likely to affect any
systems I try to build.

	I believe that I made a reasonable attempt to follow the
handbook, read the FAQ, monitor the mailing list, etc....  However,
requiring omniscience of every person who ever wants to post to any
of the mailing lists is a method that is likely to ensure that most
everyone decides it's just not worth the hassle.

	Myself, I had more than enough crap during the Great Backbone
Cabal wars.  I have zero need to put up with any more.

>                        This has been discussed to death already, and the
> only risk it opens up is for those whose machines have already had a root
> compromise. The feeling is that if you're already that far down the road,
> the person can enable bpf if they really want it.

	I agree with this sentiment -- enable it if you need it.
However, it should come disabled by default.  If you need it, then
you'll know that you need it (or you'll be told), and you will either
know how to enable it or you'll be told how to enable it.

> 	I hope that this is a joke, but just in case it isn't, the copyright
> _clearly_ states that the software is provided AS IS. You assume _all_
> responsibility for its use, misuse, abuse, reuse, and any other kind of use
> you can think of.

	See my previous message.  This doesn't mean a hill of beans.

	However, let's completely ignore the legal aspect for the moment.
Let's just focus on one thing and one thing only --  We're violating
rule #1 of Checkwick & Bellovin fer Christsakes!  if you don't need
something, don't run it!

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.