Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 07:11:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/ipfw ipfw.8

> > > If you look at the changes, the code to support WFQ in dummynet
> > > is in the order of 500 lines, many of them being comment and
> > > [gs]etsockopt() support.
> >
> > I guess what concerns me is stuffing more and more code into ipfw, which
> > is already a pretty complicated and messy beast.

technically it's <10 lines in ip_fw.c and the rest in ip_dummynet.c

> I would like to see the functioality of ipfw broken out to a set of
> netgraph modules.
> Netgraph in -current now has the capability of supporting this.

I am open to discussion on this issue.

I would like again to raise the two points of backward compatibility
and ease of use/implementation.

By putting this stuff in dummynet i did a relatively modest programming
effort (read: i could scatter it over time without having to become
familiar with netgraph); and users currently using ipfw and dummynet
pipes to throttle traffic can now benefit of WFQ by changing only
two lines in their (sometimes complex) ipfw configuration:

	from:	ipfw pipe NN <traffic selector>
	to:	ipfw queue NN <traffic selector>
		ipfw queue NN config pipe NN mask <flow-mask>

What is messy in ipfw is the user interface, but i dont think
you will gain anything by moving part of its functionality
to another command.

	cheers
	luigi