Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:37:54 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two kinds of advisories?

Wes:

I agree with everything you've said except for one point.

At 12:44 AM 7/16/2000, Wes Peters wrote:

>I'm not sure, Brett, that this would really help your situation that much.
>>From the way you describe your clients, it seems they're probably not
>capable of discerning the difference unless you spoon-feed it to them.
>Maybe you could make a bar graph or a pie chart for them?  ;^)

I wish this would help! However, the situation is anaogous to being a
doctor and fielding questions about general health matters. A patient
scans the rack of magazines on the local newsstand or in the library
and sees a headline on a medical journal: "Orange Juice Carcinogen
Warning." He's not an idiot, but also realizes that he doesn't know
enough to understand the jargon. So he asks YOU whether this affects
him and relates to the particular brand of juice he drinks.

That's similar to what's happening here. If the headline doesn't
put a scare into the user/patient, everyone is better off.

--Brett