Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:29:54 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        tim@iafrica.com.na
Cc:        andreas.klemm.ak@bayer-ag.de, "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: squid caching proxy behind a firewall ...

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 06:59:22PM +0100, Tim Priebe wrote:
> I do not have the configs in front of me, but basically you can
> configure it with the option noquery for the parent, ie the "real proxy
> server", and then deny all direct accesses. The standard config file
> explains each.

I used yesterday (before giving up temporarily and writing to the list ;-):

cache_peer FQDNofCompanyProxy parent 80 7 no-query

"7" for disabling  ICP:
#    icp_port:  Used for querying neighbor caches about
#                    objects.  To have a non-ICP neighbor
#                    specify '7' for the ICP port and make sure the
#                    neighbor machine has the UDP echo port
#                    enabled in its /etc/inetd.conf file.

no query for:
#	use 'no-query' to NOT send ICP queries to this
#       neighbor.

Well then I configured netscape to use my local squid cache
on port 3128 and I get problems in name resolving ....

Squid usually tries to resolve names into addresses and _then_
it asks its parent and neighbor caches.

Since I'm in the intranet and doesn't have access to the outside
DNS server I have a problem here ...

You are a bit unspecific (sorry) concerning "then deny all direct accesses".
Direct accesses to what ??? Is is the part, where you think of solving this
DNS request ??? I never tweaked this parameter and would be glad if you
could name it explicitely so to give me a more specific hint !

Thanks a lot

	Andreas ///

but squid tried to resolv

--