Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 14:33:25 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        achilov@granch.ru
Cc:        "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@express.ru>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MD5 passwords vs DES

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 03:22:08AM +0700, Rashid N. Achilov wrote:
> "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" wrote:
> >
> > I have a question:
> >
> >   Do anybody have ideas to add 'default crypting mode' for utilities
> > like passwd, adduser, etc ?
> >

> Manually change for all users passwords to MD5, than simply edit symlink
> libcrypt.so.2 (I assume 4.1-RELEASE) to point to a libscrypt.so.2 and
> libcrypt.a to point to a libscrypt.a. Now you can't use DES passwords
> until revert back links, but all created users now will have MD5-crypted
> passwords

This is no longer true as of 4.1.1-RELEASE, although it wasn't
documented there.

Basically, you control which form users in a particular login class
get with the passwd_format login capability, which takes values of
"des" or "md5". This is documented in login_cap(5) in recent
4.1.1-STABLE, and I think Brian was going to add an erratum about it.
Of course, you still need to install des-capable libraries to enable
des passwords (as before), but it won't magically change the default
password format.

Kris