Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:20:22 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        William Schmidt <bsd_admin@htslabs.com>
Cc:        David <djhill@novagate.net>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/22768: fxp get slow often!

>No I did think Its the motherboard I have 3 systems  Tyan S1598 , abit  dual bp6
>and a asus 97-tx  and three have problem at 4.x but run fine at 3.x.  Furthermore
>I forgot to add that I have tried different NIC cards Pn0 (netgear fa310tx,
>kinstion kne110tx) , rl0 (sms, ark ,soho), fxp0 (intel etherexperss pro+) and
>xl0(3com35-905b-tx) and all seem to have the same results.
>I through It was in the MII common code but the fxp0 didn't use the code.  I have
>played with the mtu size.  A smaller mtu size below 500 seems the help allot and
>256 gives speeds of over 2MS/sec.  This make me think the problem is in the
>TCP/IP controls but I have not had time to go through the mountains of source
>code.

   Actually, those particular symptoms are pointing very squarely at the
switch and not the server. This is exactly what I'd expect that you would
see if the switch was configured for half-duplex while the server was
configured for full duplex.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.