Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 06:13:29 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        David Goddard <goddard@acm.org>
Cc:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@hotmail.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)

In message <3A885F40.9C6AD285@acm.org>, David Goddard writes:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Dominic Marks wrote:
> > Mail Options:
> > 1. Qmail - Secure, written for FreeBSD (Qwest?), Fast, Configurable
>
> > 2. Sendmail - Industry standard, works fine, big user base
>
> > 3. Postfix - Secure, quite light on system resources, growing support
>
> I can't believe no-one's mentioned Exim (http://www.exim.org/) yet -
> doddle to configure (particularly things like virtual domains) and as
> far as I understand it pretty secure.  I spent a while deliberating
> between this and Postfix
> for my servers but plumped for Exim after a short evaluation.  Given
> that I couldn't seperate them on the basis of security I went for Exim
> on usability.  I say install both on a test machine and give them a
> whirl - but maybe someone here can offer a petter perspective on the
> security comparison...

I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned smtpd (www.obtuse.com,
also in the ports collection).  It imposes Qmail-like or Postfix-like
operation/structure on Sendmail.  You can secure Sendmail even further
by removing the setuid bit, however that breaks .forward to other
programs.  If you can live with that, you basically have the same
functionality as Qmail without the qmail-aliases afterthought.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC