Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:04:01 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86-4 Makefile distinfo pkg-plistpkg-plist.alpha pkg-plist.pc98 ports/x11/XFree86-4/files patch-dpatch-xthreads ports/x11/XFree86-4/scripts configure

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 09:10:41PM +0200, Maxim Sobolev scribbled:
| >  > Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:
| > The situation is different from the 4.0.2 version. At this time the
| > build of freetype had to be done manually. This is no more the case
| > and if you install binaries from xfree86.org you will have freetype
| > installed. Freetype can be disabled (like many other build options)
| > and I will add this option in the configure script, but the default
| > will be to install freetype, because the port tries to follow the
| > official distribution.
|
| Well, while I understand your desire to follow official distribution and motivation
| of XFree86 developers (they want to ensure that XFree can be compiled just OOB),
| but our port system has a dependency system in place to ensure that the all pieces
| are glued together nicely, so it is not very wise to not use it and create
| namespace conflict between XFree86 and freetype2. Next time they would add the

What conflict?  I am certain that the XFree86 developers will solve
any namespace conflict that you can think of.
Just because we have a namespace conflict with something else should
not prevent the introduction of a new feature.

| whole linux kernel into distribution, so what?

Is this a valid argument? :)

| I believe that it is a good tradition of FreeBSD to change layout of things to make
| them more proper from our point of view, even if it comes as extra cost. There are
| many examples gtk12/glib12, gnome, sdl/sdl-devel etc. and I do not see why XFree86
| should be a "special case".

No, the expected behavior of users from other systems who install
XF86-4 will be that it has freetype2 by default.

I think that JMZ is doing this correctly.

P.S. please wrap email at 70 characters per line...