Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:48:33 +1000
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Douglas Egan <degan@calcon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Softupdates and vinum

On Wednesday, 13 June 2001 at  9:50:06 -0500, Douglas Egan wrote:
> I remember looking at the raid implementation on Linux, and at the time
> (kernel 2.2.17) ReiserFS and Raid were mutually exclusive and there
> would be problems running ReiserFS on a raid volume.
>
> Does vinum and softupdates have the same issue?

I suppose that depends on the issue.

> I'm not sure if it even makes sense to run one on the other, but it
> would be interesting to know.

Soft updates and Vinum certainly are a good idea, and they seem to
work well together.

I don't know what the issue with ReiserFS and md was.  I did hear from
some Linux people recently where they noted that LVM (the Linux
Logical Volume Manager which covers the remaining Vinum functionality)
had trouble with ext2fs because it performs snapshots, but it doesn't
have a hook into ext2fs to guarantee consistency.  In FreeBSD, it's
the file system (ufs) which performs the snapshots, so we don't have
that issue.  There are other reasons why Vinum should also support
snapshots, but currently it doesn't.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.