Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 02:40:42 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD

> From:		Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>

> The rights are assigned, with the terms being "in consideration for
> examination of the submission" (it's not a contract unless there is
> consideration and exchange).

Don't bet on it !  Law Is .... a mess or a nightmare, variable by
time & location, etc, best avoided :-)

EG:

It can depend which legal jurisdicition one is in.  I'm British,
there's a difference I believe between English & Scottish
contract law (Wales & NI using English contract law). One jurisdicition
requires at least a nominal amount of money to exchange for a
contract, whereas the other allows a contract without money involved;
which way round I don't remember.

I've no idea on Germany law (where I am now), & no idea whether
your USA federal law chose to adopt a model from England, Scotland,
Germany or some other imigrants way back, or whether that would be
federal or variable state law.  Not that USA law is of particular
importance anyway, it's merely the address of FSF & a bunch of
programmers, but not the address of many other people & sites.  I
think some jurisdictions also probably won't consider things as a
legal contract unless it bears a stamp affixed (a tax revenue raiser).

Julian
J.Stacey	Munich Unix (FreeBSD, Linux etc) Independent Consultant
 Reduce costs to secure jobs: Use free software: http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/free/
 Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren !