Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:08:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        joe.halpin@attbi.com
Cc:        standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emacs and style(9)

: What's a style(9) program? I've been doing a little work on the at
: utility, and I've seen three or more different indentation styles
: employed (sometimes within the same function).

Simple bsd utility.

: Maybe a good working comporomise between standardization and personal
: preference could be achieved with indent(1). If it (or something
: similar) con be setup to reformat code to the style(9) specs, we could
: use our preferences when writing the code, and then translate it to the
: standard format for submission.

I've tried that on a project I worked on where all code passed through
indent on its way into the repository...  That path lies madness.  We
hadd *PROBLEMS* doing that and even the most stubborn of the engineer
"cats" agreed it was better to do things in one style than to rely on
a flawed program to do it automatically.

Warner

with "unsubscribe freebsd-standards" in the body of the message