Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:40:06 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: file types

At 1:12 AM -0800 2002/02/13, Terry Lambert wrote:

>  FreeBSD doesn't have block devices.

	I remember that this changed recently.  However, I don't recall
ever hearing a good, understandable explanation as to why.  Do you
have any, or know of any URLs where such could be found?

>  If you are using one of the millions of software packages
>  from the Internet, you will have to modify it to use device
>  aligned buffer I/O, effectively duplicating the block
>  device functionality in each and every user space program
>  instead.

	I'm wondering why pseudo-block devices weren't created that would
effectively automatically do this on top of the appropriate character
device for applications that expect this kind of behaviour.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

Do you hate Microsoft?  Do you hate Outlook?  Then visit the Anti-Outlook
page at <http://www.rodos.net/outlook/>; and see how much fun you can have.