Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 06:33:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        anderson@centtech.com
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Doc update

>It would be great to have a list of "no need to build the kernel if you
>are just trying to do these things:" items.. That would save a lot of
>time.  Who would know that list?
That's a good question.

To add more complexity to the discussion there are actually two types of
"little tweaks" one could do.  The first is to put something in loader.conf:
	foo_load="YES"
The second is to put something in rc.local or the more modern /usr/local/etc/rc.d
which says
	kldload foo

It may have been that I was doing something wrong, but I found that I could not
get sound loaded with the former, but I could with the latter (I think I tried
both snd and pcm for my "foo" above -- it was a while ago).

Of course, one could say that there are as many things to put on that
list as there are .ko files in the default install of /modules, but I think
such a list only needs to have the most common things in it (sound and apm
related stuff for two).

-r