Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:42:46 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Michael E Mercer <mmercer@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaker now makes buzzing noise...

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 09:04:36PM -0500, Michael E Mercer wrote:
> Sue Blake wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 06:58:58PM -0500, Michael E Mercer wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I recently followed the instructions to from
> > > http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/09/19/FreeBSD_Basics.html
> > >
> > > and added all the lines in the files it states...
> > >
> > > I rebooted my machine and all seems fine.
> > >
> > > However, I used GAIM and after a few messages from people, the speakers start
> > > buzzing and the only way I can stop it is to reboot.
> > >
> > > How to do I stop this noise, and hopefully fix it altogether?
> >
> > Are any error messages written to /var/log/messages when that happens?
> >

> Nov  3 18:39:53 dual /kernel: pcm0:virtual:2: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
>
> the only thing I see related to sound...

So that's the culprit.

I too had a sound problem just like yours, and it produced that error
message, and I too felt like nobody understood/believed me for a while :-)
Then I went and hunted through the problem reports at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?query
and found there was another that sounded quite like mine
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/34942

That was several FreeBSD versions ago, and just last month I had email
from someone running the latest release asking if I'd found a solution.
Unfortunately not, this one seems a real mystery.

Now I see quite a few other PRs that could be related, but I can't
tell if they're similar symptoms for unrelated problems or not.

kern/34942 kern/25859 i386/25442 kern/40927 kern/29465
kern/25061 kern/20115 kern/35230 i386/44762 ...

Although I have been unable to use sound properly since 4.3,
at a pinch I can play something if I do not queue up more than
one sound file, do not stop, pause, change speed, or quit during
play, do not suspend if it's a laptop, do not allow any
application running sound to be closed or crash while playing,
and be prepared to reboot if it goes into foghorn mode or
stops making sounds. You might have more success than me by
following just some of these tips.

Sorry I can do little more than commiserate, but I'm sure the
problem will be addressed as soon as enough of us give enough
information for the problem to be found and sorted out.
It is tempting to just give up, but we shouldn't do that.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

http://www.sievx.com/