Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:53:15 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "NTLDR missing" after 5-RELEASE install

walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> For example, IIRC, I just went thru this myself (although it's all so routine
> now I can't even remember what I do to bail out anymore) when I installed XP
> on a brand new disk and then installed FBSD afterwards.  I got the MBR screwed
> up just like you, then ran the XP install disk in "Repair" mode which got XP
> to boot again but overwrote the FBSD booter.  So all I did was boot my trusty
> GRUB floppy and reinstalled GRUB on the MBR in about 60 seconds and -- done.

     A better way is to *NOT* install any special boot loader, and just
use Win2K/XP's boot mechanism to switch between 2K/XP and FreeBSD.  The
advantage here is that you don't have to touch the boot sector which, as
we've seen, can cause problems with some desktops/laptops.

     For more information, see:

	http://bsdatwork.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=3
		(This is for the case where Windows & FreeBSD are on the
		SAME drive.)
		(Also read the OpenBSD section for additional WinXP
		info.)

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-BOOTLOADER

--
	Darryl Okahata