Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:40:13 -0500
From:      Sam Pierson <samuel.pierson@gmail.com>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Atheros driver and radiotap reliability

On 8/30/05, Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com> wrote:
> David appears to be talking about how netbsd works.  Understand that
> David does not work on FreeBSD; I'm not even sure he uses it.
> tcpdump and ethereal get the same data.  If they display it differently
> given identical data then one is wrong.  If you have an example of where
> things are wrong please present it.
I tried and it looks like everything is being displayed correctly and that
tcpdump and ethereal are displaying the same values.  The only reason
I said they looked different is that in the morning when I examined a
few hundred frames with ethereal, the values were consistently 10dB=20
lower than what I had observed through tcpdump.  I'm very glad that
they are displaying the same values now though.

> > *it*, referring to the rssi value above?
>=20
> "it" =3D ds->ds_rxstat.rs_rssi which is the value returned by the hardwar=
e.

Alright, it makes much more sense now.  You said earlier that we can use
the RSSI value and correspond each unit to ~.5dBm above the noise
floor.  I didn't see anything being passed through the hardware which
records the noise on that same per packet basis, but I can get ahold
of the average noise floor for the environment.  Will this affect the=20
accuracy of the measurements to the point where they will be=20
significantly skewed? =20

(Thanks for the help, again, it seems like there isn't a lot of information
out there regarding these topics)

-Sam