Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2013 12:11:44 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        dweimer@dweimer.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.1 - 9.2 upgrade

On 3 October 2013, at 11:58, dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net> wrote:

> On 10/03/2013 1:48 pm, Doug Hardie wrote:
>> On 3 October 2013, at 10:49, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
>>> I just did an upgrade using freebsd-update to 9.2.  This system uses =
a custom kernel so I am rebuilding everything after the update =
completed.  However, I noticed that /usr/src/UPDATING has not been =
updated.  The first entry still says:  9.1-RELEASE.  Is this correct?
>> Well, it just got worse - The last reboot now fails:  I am using a
>> remote console and it shows:
>> --> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
>> Rebooting...
>> Consoles: internal video/keyboard  serial port
>> BIOS drive A: is disk0
>> BIOS drive C: is disk1
>> BIOS 639kB/2087360kB available memory
>> FreeBSD/x86 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
>> (doug@zool.lafn.org, Thu Oct  3 04:23:13 PDT 2013)
>> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
>> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to =
disk0:
>> panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0x7f481ed0 from
>> /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/module.c:1004
>> --> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
>> I can enter a string as it doesn't try to reboot again till the =
return
>> is entered.  I've tried b disk1, but it still only tries disk0.  The
>> system rebooted fine after the reboot after make kernel.  Mergemaster
>> didn't seem to affect anything dealing with boot.  Don't know what
>> make delete-old does but the descriptions lead me to not believe it
>> could cause this.  This system is on the other side of LA from me so
>> its a major trip timewise.  Any ideas how this can be recovered
>> remotely?
>=20
> I wonder if your source update didn't correctly download, mine starts =
with:
>=20
> Updating Information for FreeBSD current users
> ...[snip]...
> Items affecting the ports and packages system can be found in
> /usr/ports/UPDATING.  Please read that file before running =
portupgrade.
>=20
> 20130705:
>        hastctl(8)'s `status' command output changed to terse one-liner =
format.
>        Scripts using this should switch to `list' command or be =
rewritten.
>=20
> 20130618:
>        Fix a bug that allowed a tracing process (e.g. gdb) to write
> ...[snip]...
> 20121218:
>        With the addition of auditdistd(8), a new auditdistd user is =
now
>        depended on during installworld.  "mergemaster -p" can be used =
to add
>        the user prior to installworld, as documented in the handbook.
>=20
> 20121205:
>        9.1-RELEASE.
> ...[snip]...
>=20
> I haven't a clue how to fix your non booting system short of booting =
off a FreeBSD disc, going to live CD, mounting the filesystems in a temp =
location and doing a buildworld/kernel over again with correct source =
tree.

I have been using freebsd-update for quite awhile now and this is the =
first time it has failed.  However, I am not convinced the kernel is =
bad.  It never gets to the point of trying to load the kernel.  =
Something has failed in the bootstrap process itself and I have not =
figured out what is the right thing to enter at that prompt.  Being =
on-site is not a viable alternative=85