Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:38:21 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        dima <_pppp@mail.ru>, Darren Pilgrim <darren.pilgrim@bitfreak.org>
Subject:   Re: New version of iwi(4) - Call for testers [regression!]

--nextPart1980493.HrfDQ4Ebz6

On Monday 20 March 2006 23:06, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> dima wrote:
> > I had a chance to test the driver more throughly today. It can't connect
> > to some access points. Sometimes reboot helps, sometimes not. I didn't
> > experience this with the driver currently present in the tree; well, I
> > used /usr/ports/net/iwi-firmware (not the kmod version). This can be the
> > case.
> >
>  > When I run the 2 following commands in the script it sometimes
> >
> > fails to load the firmware properly:
> >
> > # ifconfig iwi0 inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> >
>  > # iwiconfig -i iwi0 -d /boot/firmware -m bss
>  >
>  > It seems that if_iwi module needs some time to initialize the card
>  > properly (I have a 2915 one); and it's really ready to boot a firmware
>  > in several milliseconds.
>
> What is the "iwiconfig" program and why are you using it with Max's drive=
r?
>   The first command is all that is needed to get the interface up and
> configured, assuming you're using static IPs on an open AP.

Let me clear up some things here:
1) This is not "mine" driver.  It's Damien's with a lot of patches that I h=
ope=20
to test by putting out this version.
2) iwiconfig is no longer needed to load firmware.  iwi-firmware-kmod from=
=20
ports is the weapon of choice for both, the driver version from CVS and the=
=20
one from my page.
3) The aim is to merge the changes in "my" driver to CVS modulo regressions=
=2E =20
That is why I am mostly interested in side-by-side testing.  I will put out=
 a=20
new tarball later this week that will help with that.  If you already did=20
some such testing, I'd be happy to hear your results.

=2D-=20