Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:46:54 -0400
From:      ricky.packetlogic@gmail.com
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: kern/135222: [igb] low speed routing between two igb interfaces

>>Intel 82575EB (and friends)  are *the* premier ethernet controllers to
>>use with FreeBSD in a server.  igb should be the most stable and
>>supported driver in the whole kernel.  I can't think of any other driver
>>and series of controllers I would rather use in a server like this.

Well, the good NIC is no good at all without good driver, sadly, it's the case with stock igb driver shipped with FB.

I hate to say this, but igb driver sucks, there're many obvious issue in the code like wrong DMA allocation etc. You just have to re-write completely to get igb work, i.e., to support msi-x with multiqueue.

>>If the drivers for these chips are now "bad", this is a very sad day for
>>people who wanted to use FreeBSD in their dual socket servers.
Either stick to em or re-write the igb driver.

It's just funny that everybody keeps quite on this, is it too difficulty to let people know it's the known issue with igb driver?

Ricky

This message was sent on behalf of ricky.packetlogic@gmail.com at openSubscriber.com
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/12445915.html