Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2010 09:35:29 +0200
From:      Torbjorn Kristoffersen <torbjoern@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are any adjustments for ZFS necessary in 8.1 amd64?

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:15 AM, jhell <jhell@dataix.net> wrote:
> On 10/05/2010 20:50, Trever wrote:
>> Apologies if this has been answered previously, but I can't find definit=
ive info.

>> The FBSD handbook recommends a customized loader.conf when using ZFS (fo=
r all architectures):
>> vm.kmem_size=3D"330M"
>> vm.kmem_size_max=3D"330M"
>> vfs.zfs.arc_max=3D"40M"
>> vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size=3D"5M"
>>
>> Is this still true for the 8.1 amd64 release? =A0I've read various place=
s that it is not and that handbook is NOT up-to-date. =A0Out of the box, am=
d64 8.1 ZFS so far "just works" without any customizations other than to ma=
ke sure it turns on at reboot. =A0But systems are fairly quiescent, we have=
 not gone to production yet.

>> In addition to the handbook recommendations, are there 8.1 amd64 tunings=
 that should be done for a vanilla server? =A0(Will be imap server, actuall=
y.)

>> Without tuning as per above, I see this on our systems (sysctl -a):
>> vm.kmem_size: 8318648320
>> vm.kmem_size_max: 329853485875
>> vfs.zfs.arc_max: 7244906496
>> vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size: 10485760
>>
>> Our systems have 24 GB of RAM.
>>

> With the amount of RAM that you have available in your system I would
> not recommend using the above values that you quoted from the Wiki.
> Those values from the wiki IIRC were based on a i386 system that has
> less than 1G of RAM and were used as an example more than a definitive
> tuning to achieve better performance.
>
> With all the available configurations that are possible with a ZFS based
> FreeBSD system I would suggest that you try out the defaults and move
> from that point onward before you try tuning for a specific scenario. It
> will be best to have a definitive starting point at which you can always
> refer back to in your performance testing.

I've got the same setup except 8GB of memory.  I'd also like to tune
as best as I can, but I'm uncertain of how far I should try to go.
It's a production system so I'm playing it a bit careful. Using
default settings now, but I'm also interested in better performance.

TK