Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2011 16:43:37 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
Cc:        Paul Schenkeveld <paul@psconsult.nl>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for gigabit network appliances

On 28-3-2011 21:46, Steve Polyack wrote:
> On 03/28/11 13:29, Paul Schenkeveld wrote:
> Axiomtek makes a handful of devices which might interest you.  Their
> NA-820 is a pretty solid platform for serial console, internal VGA
> headers, 7 Intel em(4) gigabit ethernet interfaces, and SATA support:
> http://axiomtek.com/products/ViewProduct.asp?view=429
>
> We haven't had any trouble with running FreeBSD on them.  I'm not sure
> about obtaining them in Europe, however.

I've purchased 2 of them and they got shipped directly from the
far-East. There is a reseller in Germany, but they still defer you.

Al in al it was a realively painless process.

And yo gan even go to eleven * 1Gbit, if you use a quad ehternet card in
the extention slot.

Processing power to fully utilize all ports is more of a problem.
Since generating 11Gb/s of traffic ain't easy. :)

--WjW