Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:24:10 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9 hangs with idletick = 0

Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> If short freezes you've descrived happens often enough, you may try to
> log them down with enabling KTR_SPARE2 ktr event type and disabling
> logging within few seconds after such freeze happened.

I've been working with adri to try to isolate it.  We've eliminated nfs
and zfs as possible sources.  I definitely think it's network-related,
because I can trigger it by downloading a large file to /dev/null.

Interestingly, it looks like serial console activity wakes it up - not
immediately, but when I hooked up the console, it woke up within seconds
after being frozen for almost ten minutes.

I've just built a kernel with KTR support, and with KTR_SPARE2, KTR_INTR
and KTR_SCHED enabled by default.  I'll see what turns up.  I'm also
going to try machdep.idle=3Dhlt with kern.eventtimer.idletick=3D0, and using
a PCI re(4) instead of the on-board msk(4) while running with default
settings.

BTW, can I suggest appropriating one of KTR_SPARE[234] and renaming it
to KTR_CLOCK?  I don't see why cxgb should use them, let alone all
three; it should use KTR_DEV or KTR_NET instead.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no